Sunday, June 27, 2010

And on we go...

Dear Grandpa-

It's been two years today since you passed away and I thought I'd say hello and let you know what's been going on. Last we spoke, you guessed that Kali was pregnant with a baby girl. Well, we don't have our baby girl yet (although our second baby is on the way - so who knows), but little Max was born in December of that year and just turned 18 months. He is such a wonderful kid. He sleeps regularly, pours through books and gives an open mouth kiss to family and friends alike. He hugs, he giggles and we just taught him the high five and the fist bump. He says nana for banana and Daddy whenever he sees a family member, not just for me. Kali thinks he has your smile and I can see that he has your kindness and love for family. He runs to the top of the steps when I get home from work and he waves to me when they drop me off at the airport by opening and closing his fist until they drive out of view. He is the hit at the grocery store. He is cautious and wades into situations of uncertainty, but still takes his spills and earns his band aids. You would have adored him.

You'd be happy to know that Johnny is healthy and going to graduate school at UCLA in the Fall. He is moving beyond chemotherapy treatments and hospital visits and is excited about the future. Mark is engaged, happy and set to be married in June. He misses your phone calls to see how the market is doing, although you are better off not knowing what the market has done since you've been gone. You were right all along... The big crash came and it's been ugly. Your warnings about excessive debt and a runaway market were more prescient than you'll ever know.

Mom and Dad are loving their new house and we've found your old house on Rock Rd across the canyon. I miss visiting you there and climbing in the oak tree on the deck. I can tell Dad misses you too. We loved our weekend at the US Open, but Carmel isn't the same without you. Everyone is taking good care of Grandma as she keeps busy and active. We think of you often.

Most of all, I miss my dominoes partner. More later.

Love, Ted

No comments: